A Leadership Lesson Learned?

As turmoil continues about the world, dorsum hither inward Massachusetts there's been a kerfuffle surrounding Governor Charlie Baker's remarks most limiting Syrian refugees' access to the state. Several of us, including me, nosotros appalled yesteryear what he said. Among those was U.S.A. Representative Seth Moulton.  Moulton's criticism was, inward turn, deemed partisan yesteryear the Governor, an accusation Moulton roundly denied. The Governor, too, said that his remarks had been taken out of context, together with he appeared upset that he had been defendant of a lack of compassion. Indeed, he declined to sign a letter from other Republican governors holler for President Barack Obama to suspend efforts to resettle Syrian refugees inward the U.S.

A friend on Facebook noted, with regard to this concluding item:

At to the lowest degree our governor is intelligent plenty to take away heed to his constituency. And it shows nosotros tin force him on things, which is a proficient thing. Bravo Baker for listening together with learning from your people.

The enquiry that I inquire today is what lesson was learned together with how mightiness other leaders also acquire from this episode.  If the exclusively lesson Charlie learned from the events was that he had gotten out every bit good far inward front end of an number relative to world take in together with that hence he had to backtrack, that's simply a lesson inward politics.

If, however, he learned some other leadership lesson, so at that spot is a improve lawsuit for him personally together with for the state.  You see, what Charlie did inward his initial comments was to fan a spark of fear, resentment, together with xenophobia alongside at to the lowest degree some people inward the state. It does non affair whether Charlie's words were taken out of context. He grabbed the instant together with became a lightning rod.

For example, here's 1 comment from Michele that I received on my weblog post:

So if I don't similar what this regime is doing or the people that are running this country, I should pack upward a duet tiny things, my really small-scale children together with deed to some other country? I joined the Navy. I was honored to operate beside the Marine Corps. So instead of trying to attain my solid soil I should deed together with facial expression everyone else to accept aid of me? My Grandfather remembers the regime coming to his father's menage to offering assistance to farmers striking yesteryear the depression. He proudly refused. Where is the working through adversity attitude? Why is everything "give me help"?

I replied:

Michele, delight accept a facial expression at some of the pictures together with read the stories from these folks. This is non most working through adversity. This is most having your community destroyed, losing your housing together with possessions, with threats of bombs every day.

She answered:

I know. I sobbed when their stories started coming through. My work concern is my children, Paul. As is their work concern I am sure. I am non willing to sacrifice my children's security every bit they are non either. We are making decisions based on the same priorities. 

We should inward no agency discount people's fears when bad things laissez passer on off inward the world. But acknowledging that fearfulness is non the same every bit fanning it.

Charlie doth protestation every bit good much when he claims his words were taken out of context.  The overall context was that a slew of mainly Republican governors were maxim roughly the same thing at the same time.  The Governor needs to sympathize that the moral stature of an elected official is such that his project during times of stress is to convey people together, to appeal to their improve instincts together with values, together with non to their fears.

When he says that "my project is protect the people of Massachusetts," he is both maxim every bit good much together with every bit good little.  Too much because no 1 mortal tin protect half-dozen million.  Too much because, on this issue, he has no jurisdiction inward whatever event.  Too niggling because his project is to aid hold a feel of community during a menses of unrest.  Too niggling because his project is to remind us of our underlying values together with shared history.

The enquiry for Governor Baker is whether he learned that leadership lesson, non simply a passing lesson inward politics.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel